Current:Home > MarketsJohn Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -Trailblazer Capital Learning
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:15:22
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry, and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (82222)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Body camera captures dramatic rescue of infant by deputy at scene of car crash in Florida
- Former Marine and crypto lawyer John Deaton to challenge Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren
- Bayer makes a deal on popular contraceptive with Mark Cuban's online pharmacy
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Man accused of killing wife sentenced in separate case involving sale of fake Andy Warhol paintings
- The Hoosier Gym, home of the Hickory Huskers, still resonates with basketball fans
- American man admits to attacking 2 US tourists and killing one of them near a famous German castle
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Evers signs bill requiring UW to admit top Wisconsin high school students
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Want to view total solar eclipse from the air? Delta offering special flight from Texas to Michigan
- More heavy rain swamps Southern California; flood warnings, watches around Los Angeles
- D.C. United fan groups plan protest of the MLS club’s preseason trip to Saudi Arabia
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Environmental Groups Eye a Potential Win with New York Packaging Bill
- Los Angeles Angels 3B Anthony Rendon: '[Baseball]'s never been a top priority for me.'
- Selena Gomez Strips Down for Bathtub Photo During Paris Getaway
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Neuschwanstein castle murder case opens with U.S. man admitting to rape, killing of fellow U.S. tourist
Cyclist in Washington state sustains injuries after a cougar ‘latched onto’ her
UConn is unanimous No. 1 in AP Top 25. No. 21 Washington State ends 302-week poll drought
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Lionel Messi on false reports: Injury, not political reasons kept him out Hong Kong match
More heavy rain swamps Southern California; flood warnings, watches around Los Angeles
Taylor Swift and Sabrina Carpenter Enjoy an Enchanted Dinner Out During Australian Leg of Eras Tour